Slots are one of the easiest and most popular of all the casino games and require no skills or experience making it one of the best games for beginners. Slot Machines were originally introduced in Las Vegas as a means to keep bored tag-along housewives occupied while the men played the “real games”, but little did the casino owners know that one day online slots would become the biggest cash cow of all the online casino games.
Today’s online slots have little in common with the boring old mechanical lever-operated games of old, where you had to match 3 lemons or cherries. Today’s slots have licensed themes from your favorite TV shows Movies, Artists or Superheroes. With killer graphics added, the have become a mesmerizing gambling experience, with hundreds of different themes and special features. In this article, we fill you in on all things online slots.
Before we get started, let’s have a look at slot machine terminology.
- Reel – The spinning reels refer to the different wheels which the games symbols are presented to the player.
- Spin – A spin is simply one round of spinning the reels on a slot machine.
- Bonus Feature – A bonus feature in a slot can be everything from free spins to a special bonus game. The bonus feature can either be started randomly after a spin, or when special bonus symbols line up on the wheels.
- Max Bet – The Max met is the maximal amount of money you can wage on one spin.
- Payline – The payline is the line on which the symbols must land for you to be declared the winner
- Multiplier – They multiply how much you win with a certain combination of symbols. So for example, if you usually win C$10 for three lemons in a row, with multiplier x10 you’d win 100 Canadian dollars.
- Scatter – A scatter symbol is a symbol that starts free spins. The can look many different ways, but when you get three or more of them on the screen, you win a specific amount of free spins. The amount may typically vary from 5 to 30, depending on the game and the amount of scatter symbols on the screen.
- Wild – The wild symbol is a symbol that can replace any other symbol in a winning combination of symbols. Wild symbols however cannot replace scatter symbols.
- RTP – RTP, or Return To Player, is the average percentage of wagered money that goes back to the player in the form of winnings. Typically, RTP is between 88-95%.
In today’s online casinos, you’ll find a great variety of different kinds of slot games. Let’s have a look at the most common ones.
These are the online slots that imitate the classic slots of the 60’s and 70’s. Typically they have only one payline, and commonly use fruit and BAR symbols, and usually contain no bonus games. Although most 3 reel slots offer no bonuses, there are some that do offer these features, if you look hard enough. Many casinos call these classic slots.
The vast majority of online video slots have 5 reels, although there are some that have 7 reels. These video slots often have 15-243 paylines, and sometimes more. The casino game developer Microgaming is famous for their series of slots with 243 paylines, and the titles include popular titles such as Playboy, Thunderstruck, Terminator II and Aliens, the latter two based on the Hollywood blockbusters with the same names.
One of my favorite slots games would be 3-D slots. These slots use 3D animations just as good as any movie. The most popular 3D slots are made by Betsoft Gaming, like “It came from Venus” or “One night in Paris”.
Progressive slots remain the online version of the Rolls Royce. Not because they have the best graphics, but because part of every wager in every casino contributes to the jackpot. So the jackpot keeps growing until a lucky gambler wins it. And the biggest jackpot machines from Microgaming and NetEnt resets at over one million Canadian Dollars, but have been known to reach over 10 million, and unlike the lottery that jackpot all goes to 1 winner. Famous progressive slots such as Mega Moolah, The Dark Knight, Mega Fortune and Hall of Gods are responsible for creating hundreds of multi-millionaires.
How to Choose your Favorite Slots Game
Which game suits you depends on who you are as a player. Do you like risk; you should definitely go for the progressive slots described above. The same goes for Microgaming’s 243 payline slots. These multi payline slots games are called high explosive. this means you will lose more often then win. On the other hand when you win, you win big. Most video slots offer 15 to 25 paylines and are less explosive. So, this means you will win more often but it will be smaller amounts. Since slots are one of the few games that contribute 100% to the playthrough requirements you can use Welcome Bonus money to try out many different slots games.
How to Play Online Slots
Slots is strictly a game of luck that requires absolutely no real skills at all. All you need to do is select how much you want to bet on each spin. Next you simply press the Spin button and if the reels go spinning. If you are lucky a winning combination will stop on the pay line. The right combination and you can win a few dollars or a few millions.
All modern casinos will allow you to to play their games for free. Besides helping you find a game you like, it allows you to become familiar with the different game variations. Playing free slots is a good way to find your favorite game, get some practice, and have some fun.
Best Online Slots Casino 2017
At canadian-online-casinos.ca we know you love your slots. This is why we listed our favorite casino for slots players. We based this choice on the number of slots games, payout percentages and progressive jackpots. Click the link below to visit what we think is the best casino for Canadian slots fans.