2018 FIFA World Cup Semi Finals
The shocks have been non-stop at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
From Mexico’s defeat of the reigning World Champions Germany in the Group Stage to Japan’s ‘almost victory’ over the in-form Belgians in the Round of 16, and England finally overcoming their long running ‘penalty curse’, this version of Soccer’s greatest tournament has had it all for the online sports bettor who likes to receiving betting value for backing the underdogs.
Can the upsets continue at the 2018 World Cup?
Now at the Semi Final stage, we’ve entered the business end of the tournament and it looks like every remaining match will produce its own range of internal and overall surprises.
Its only a matter of days now until we know the winner of the 2018 World Cup and Online Casino Canada will be with you every step of the way with the remaining game previews and betting market and odds updates.
For your betting convenience below, you’ll find tables including all the updated odds for;
- All 4 teams remaining in the World Cup and the latest UPDATED odds for them lift the World Cup from the three of the main and recommended sports betting providers for Canadians (Betway, William Hill and 888 Casino) and;
- A preview and odds update for each of the 2 Semi Final matches from our three recommended 2018 FIFA World Cup sports betting providers for Canadians (Betway, William Hill and 888 Casino).
At Online Casino Canada, we provide you with only the best recommended and independently tested Sports Books that cater year-round for Canadians with a full range of casino games that can be played online and moreover, easily navigated World Cup Betting Markets.
All of our range of sportsbooks are recommended for online players interested in betting on the full complement of Canadian, North American and worldwide sports events such as NHL, CFL, NFL, MLB, PGA Golf tournaments, NCAA, MLS, NBA and coming shortly after the completion of the World Cup for its inaugural season, the new Canadian Premier League.
Ahead of the Canada co-hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup, over time, it is expected that more big-time players will be looking to sign and become involved in the Canadian Premier League to familiarize themselves with our unique soccer stadiums and conditions.
World Cup Winner Odds (Updated 08 July 2018)
|Team||Betway||William Hill||888 Casino|
France v Belgium
10 July 2018 – St Petersburg Stadium – St Petersburg – Russia
Who are favorites to win? France’s ‘total’ football plan has them deserved favorites in the first semi-final. However, Belgium are not out of this match as they have the pace in attack to destroy in team’s defense.
Why France can win?
France started the World Cup slowly and with each match, they are warming up nicely.
- France are yet to place at their best at the tournament.
- France are strong in-every-position with multiple star-players vying for starting places. Sometimes, this can be a blessing in disguise, However, with the French team buying into coach Didier Deschamps’ authoritarian rule, it has been one of the French side’s great strengths – working together as a unit.
- Kylian Mbappe is the quite simply the very BEST young player to appear at a World Cup since Pele stormed into public consciousness in 1958.
- The strong French midfield led by Paul Pogba can maintain and potentially control possession against all oppositions.
Why Belgium can win?
- Belgium boast their strongest side ever assembled at a World Cup, and are guaranteed to (at their worst), equal their best ever World Cup finishing position (The Belgians finished 4th in Mexico in 1986).
- Consequently, the Belgians are playing like a time with nothing to lose.
- If Belgium do happen go behind on the scoreboard, they know that the attacking odds are in their favor and that they can outscore any opposition.
- Romelu Lukaku is a goal scoring machine with pace to burn.
- The creative Belgian midfield led by Kevin De Bruyne, Dries Mertens and Eden Hazard can punch holes in any defense.
- They are the attacking stars of this World Cup to date.
When perfectly in balance and playing in sync, the Belgian attacking quartet are arguably the biggest attacking threat at the World Cup. A bigger physical presence than France’s Kylian Mbappe / Antoine Griezmann / Olivier Giroud combination, and greater attacking threat too than England’s Harry Kane / Dele Alli / Raheem Sterling triangle.
Against Brazil, Belgium showed what it could do early in the first half that will make it such a danger against France and a potential opponent in the World Cup Final itself should they get through.
De Bruyne was immaculate when turning and belting forward at pace towards Brazil’s back line. However, when he worked in tandem with the pace and strength of Romelu Lukaku, that is when things really clicked into gear.
After soaking up pressure from a Brazil attack, De Bruyne would receive the ball just outside Belgium’s area, before turning his man and dishing out the ball quick smart to Lukaku on the right wing, without even looking.
In that match at least, Belgium ‘out-Brazil-ed’ Brazil.
France beware. They will know, but can they stop it?
|Draw (After 90 minutes)||21/10||9/4||21/10|
Croatia v England
11 July 2018 – Luzhniki Stadium – Moscow – Russia
Who are favourites to win? England are deserved favorites and are riding a wave of emotional favoritism too with the ‘It’s coming home’ movement.
Croatia will be oblivious to that. They are a class side, full of potential match winners and England would underestimate them at their peril.
Why Croatia can win?
- Croatia’s team of stars are one of the most experienced squads at this World Cup with a majority of their team playing at big and successful clubs across all the major European Leagues.
- The Croatian management and players are calm and united, without the usual internal interference from their administrators that has beset previous campaigns at World Cups and European Championships.
- Luka Modric, Ivan Rakitic and Mario Mandzukic can thread their way through any defense to score
- The Croatian defense has defied the odds to be unusually miserly and allowed few goals at this tournament.
Why England can win?
- England have finally overcome the odds stacked against them in their ‘penalties losing curse’ in big tournaments.
- England are a young team, playing with an infectious smile and don’t carry the weight of expectation like previous English teams.
- Coach Gareth Southgate has a great blend of attack (Harry Kane and Raheem Sterling, Dele Alli are all class) and organized defense led by the giant Harry Maguire at his disposal.
England have had an easier run to the semi-final by coming through the easier half of the draw and should be well-rested. On the other hand, will the lack of games against top-flight opposition play against them? Only time will tell.
For now, England is in the semi-finals on merit. If it was to go all the way to become World Cup Champions it would have to win two more games that will be exponentially harder than anything it has experienced so far.
The biggest soccer tests for England, by far, are ahead of them.
Social media is abuzz with England’s ‘It coming home’ campaign referring to the country creating the game of soccer and the nation’s World Cup’s first and only World Cup win in 1966. Hear and see it here;
|Team||Betway||William Hill||888 Casino|
|Draw (After 90 minutes)||21/10||21/10||21/10|